Saturday, August 12, 2017

LYIN' EYES

   There is a song we have heard on the radio for more than forty years, and the song says:  "you can't hide your lyin' eyes".  (The Eagles, 1975)
   There is a line in another song that we have heard for more than forty years that says:  "every face tells a story".  (Olivia Newton-John, 1976)
   When our cat looks at me, he looks at my face, and, more importantly, he looks at my eyes.
   When our neighbor's dog looks at me and barks, he looks at my face, and, more importantly, he looks at my eyes.
   Does it seem strange that animals know the truth that is in people, and that they know this truth by looking at our faces, and, more importantly, by looking at our eyes?
   What, then, can we learn from animals concerning those things they know about humans?
   There is a certain man, and when he talks with me, he will sit and stare and look around, not looking at me in the eyes.  But!  If he talks about his favorite sports team, he will look at me in the eyes with a degree of excitement in his voice.  If the topic turns to Christ, however, he will return to his previous behavior of staring and looking around, and not look at me in the eyes---while his face looks as cold as ice.
   When our children lie to us, do they avoid looking at our eyes?  But!  If they want something, they will look at us in our eyes while their little feet and arms keep jiggling, saying:  "Please, Mommy!  Please, Daddy!  If you let me do it, I'll be your best friend!  If you let me do it, I promise not to ask you again!"  And when we say yes, off they run like the wind, skipping and hopping!
   When a certain person told me the story of Adam and Eve in the Bible is a myth, she looked at me in my eyes because she believes her belief is true---even though she is believing in a lie.
   If you remember the story, when Jesus was carrying His cross when on His way to be crucified in Jerusalem, the Lord looked at the face of Peter; and Peter, when looking at the face and the eyes of Jesus, "remembered the word of the Lord".  (Luke 22: 61)
   We can, therefore, know the truth that abides in people by looking at their faces, and, more importantly, by looking at their eyes.
   Just as Peter "remembered the word of the Lord,"  do you remember these words of the Lord when He said,
      "The light of the body is in the eye:  if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
        But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness.  If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!"  (Matthew 6: 22-23)
      Obviously, if people know Christ, they will look at us in our eyes.  But!  If they do not know the Lord, they will not look at our eyes because they are avoiding the light that is in us while their eyes are dwelling in darkness, and "how great is that darkness!"
      Jesus also said,
        "I am the light of the world:  he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."  (John 8: 12)
   And how great is that light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.