Sunday, August 20, 2017

A HOUSE OF PRAYER

   Jesus said,
      "Let not your heart be troubled:  ye believe in God, believe also in me.  In my father's house are many mansions:  if it were not so, I would have told you.  I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."  (John 14: 1-3)
   
   Jesus also said,
      "It is not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer?  but ye have made it a den of thives."  (Matthew 11: 17)

   By the words of Christ, we should be able to understand that prayer should be first and foremost in the house of the Lord, or in churches.
   If prayer, however, is not first in the life of a church, has Christ become secondary---or third or fourth---according to the programs that are written and handed out at the door?
   If prayer is not first in the life of a Christian family, has Christ become secondary---or third or fourth---according to the programs the family has planned for itself?
   If prayer is not first in the life of an individual believer, has Christ become secondary---or third or fourth---in the life of an individual's programs he has planned for his life?
   In my own life, I will tell you that I have made my mistakes in my prayer life with respect to my family, but also with respect to myself as an individual believer, and I am guilty.
   If we, the body of Christ, have not made prayer first, have we---in the words of Christ---made His house "a den of thieves"?  and thereby robbed Christ of His position to receive glory and honor?

   John the Baptist said,
     "He must increase, but I must decrease."  (John 3: 30)

      "But without faith it is impossible to please him:  for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."  (Hebrews 11: 6; underline mine)
 
      "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."  (Matthew 6: 33)

   What things?
   The blessings of God.
   So that, as the body of Christ diligently seeks Him first in prayer, He will reward us in ways that will truly amaze us!
                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.