Thursday, July 13, 2017

AS WE SIT IN SILENCE

     "And Moses said unto God,
          Whom am I
           that I should go unto Pharaoh,
        and that I should bring forth the children of Israel
           out of Egypt?"  (Exodus 3: 11)
   Just over two thousand years ago in Jerusalem, some men and women did something that no humans had ever done before:  they left their homes, they left their jobs, and they departed the city to tell the world about a certain man who had been resurrected from death.  And then they lost their lives.
   To begin, let me tell you that in the world where I live today, there are but two people who will talk with me about the Bible outside of church buildings.  What am I to say to this?  Whom am I to give an answer for the silence of believers outside of church buildings?  Or, why is it so difficult for believers to talk about Christ even in the presence of believers?
   Two questions I have are these:   If our behaviors do not change after going to the buildings, what is the purpose of going to the buildings?  And if our attitudes do not change after going to the buildings, what is the purpose of going to the buildings?
   What is happening today inside church buildings behind the stained-glass windows as we sit in silence on padded pews?
   Where is the Bible in churches today?  And where is the Bible in the lives of believers?
   The apostles and disciples of Christ never had Bibles to take with them on their journeys.  They never had church buildings.
   As believers of Christ today, do we consider ourselves to be disciples of the Lord?  Are we followers of Christ, or are we followers of our own hearts?  Or is church just something that we do because of our traditions and rituals? 
   If we are followers of our own hearts, we do not need the Bible for that.  And if church is no more than our participation in rites and rituals, neither do we need the Bible for that.  And if the most we do in church is mostly memorized, or scripted in our minds, do we really need the Bible for that?
   We give our money, we pay our dues, and then we leave.
   Obviously, if the Bible is not important to us inside the buildings, then why should it be important to us outside the buildings?
   In closing, let me tell you that I am guilty for sitting in silence.  I am guilty for not speaking enough for the Lord outside church buildings. 
   Therefore,
       "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."  (Psalm 19: 14)
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.