Thursday, December 20, 2012

WHOM DO YOU FEAR?

   On the day when Christ was crucified in Jerusalem, the Lord was led to Pontius Pilate for a second round of interrogation.  And Pilate said unto Jesus, What is truth?
   Jesus, however, remained silent, not answering this question. 
   Could it be that Jesus knew that Pilate knew the answer to the question? 
   Pilate rejected Christ because Pilate feared Caesar.  Pilate was more concerned with his position, his seat of power, and even more concerned about his own life than he was concerned about his salvation.  Therefore fear grabbed the mind of Pilate and Pilate turned his back on Christ. 
   On the morning just before my salvation in 1995, fear grabbed my mind.  I knew I needed Christ for my salvation, but the fear of what others would think of me tossed me to and fro as a ship being tossed about with violent winds.  My Caesar became my wife, my children, people I work with, and even my pastor and the people where I attended church.  What would all of these people think of me if I accept Christ and become a Christian?  My experience was an engagement in spiritual warfare:  the devil injected my mind with fearful questions because the devil did not want to lose me to Christ.  But when I fell on my knees, confessed to God that I was a sinner, and invited Christ to save me, fear departed.  No longer was I fearful to tell others about this wonderful experience, and others were thrilled for me!
   Whom, then, is the Caesar of your life?  Is Caesar your wife, your children, the people you work with?  Is Caesar your friends, or even your religion and you fear what your minister or priest will say to you if you accept Christ as your Saviour? 
   Knowing Christ is not an easy transition; for when you are faced with the Truth, who is Christ, you will experience fear:  the fear of the unknown.  If you are like Pilate, you will fear Caesar and reject Christ.  And, just like Pilate, you will wash your hands and justify your decision.  If you reject Christ, you will turn to your family as if nothing happened.  You will turn to your friends as if nothing happened.  You will turn to your religion as if nothing happened.  Then, like Pilate, you will die with Christ.
   But if your turn to Christ, fear will leave you and you will be free from the shackles that bind you.  You will walk in newness of life.  You will see with new eyes.  You will want others to come to Jesus just as you come to Jesus.  And you will wish that you had made this decision a long, long time ago. 
   If there is a Caesar in your life, please remember the words to the shepherds in Bethlehem just over two thousand years ago:
      And the angel said unto them, Fear not:  for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.  (Luke 2: 10, 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.