Monday, October 13, 2014

GOLDEN CALVES IN A SEA OF GREEN PASTURES

           Believing in God is not normal for humans.  Believing in God is uncommon sense.

   In a culture that produces golden calves in a sea of green pastures, our societies have enabled us to produce images of ourselves in our imaginations so that we see self before seeing anything else, leading us to believe in self-reliance, self-assurance, self-dependency, self-confidence, and even self-adoration and self-worship, which is self-idolatry, that says:
      Look at me!  You are going to like the way I look, the way I walk, and the way I talk.
      Look at the way I swagger down the runways under gleaming lights and clicking cameras.
      Look at the way I strut when I cross the streets or prance in the halls.
      Look at me when I enter the building and capture the eyes when I enter the room.
   Because of the power of my own imagination, I can produce an image of myself and project that image in the eyes of others, leading them to believe in the image they see in me, or at least believing that others will believe in the image I have of myself. 
  While we cannot control what others think of us, we still have the power to influence and even to manipulate their perceptions and interpretations.
   Am I who I say I am, or am I someone else?
   Therefore being consumed with self-idolatry, we can produce a golden calf (or an idol) of ourselves  in our own imaginations
   Isn't this exactly what the world around us teaches us to believe?
   Consider the simple philosophies that we have written about ourselves and for ourselves:
      Take care of yourself before taking care of others.
      Look out for number one instead of looking out for others.
      Like yourself before you can like others.
      Love yourself before you can love others.
   Is the face I see in the mirror the same face that others see when they see me? 
   Because of this self-idolatry and self-worship, I can believe that even God is impressed with me.
      Look at me as I enter my church or house of religion.
      Look at the way I am dressed, the way I walk, and the way I talk.
      Look at the way I sit, the way I stand, the way I kneel and fold my hands.
      Look at the way I repeat the lines as I have learned to repeat so well.
      Look at my sinless face and my glimmering glow.
      Look at me as I teach my children to be like me.
      Look at me as a golden calf in a sea of green pastures.
   The green pastures is the world in which we live, the feeding ground of golden calves.
   The sea is the water in which they drown, being consumed by the flames of pride.
   Consider God's judgment on Lucifer:
      Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee.  It shall devour thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of them that beheld thee.  All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee:  thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.  (Ezekiel 28: 18-19)
     
     
    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.