Thursday, August 1, 2013

THINGS REMEMBERED

It is easier to remember
   the things we do wrong
 than to remember
   the things we do well.

   When I was in the third grade in elementary school, I stole a boy's new pencil from the top of his desk when he walked away. I did that.  Upon returning to his desk, he challenged me in the case of the missing pencil, and I lied.  Then he marched to the front of the class to get the teacher to divide the stories, and I continued to lie.  I told a story that could fill the pages of a little book, but the teacher was not buying it.  Finally, I confessed my wrong, returned the pencil to the boy, and he and I remained friends throughout high school.  On top of this, the teacher issued no punishment, and this incident was never mentioned again.
   That event happened nearly sixty years ago, and I have remembered it all these many years---detail by detail, lie upon lie---and today is the first time I have ever told this story. 
   In like manner, when we confess our sins to Christ---just as I confessed my wrong to the teacher---there is no punishment, and the Lord erases our wrongs from His mind.
   For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.  (Hebrews 8: 12)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.