Saturday, August 4, 2012

FEAR STRIKES FAST

   Fear is as fast as lightning.
   In October, 2000,  I made a wrong turn on a road in the mountains of North Carolina. 
   The road was a stranger to me, having never traveled it before.  The road had two lanes, though narrow, and it had many curves.  Neither did I know where the road would go on the other side of the mountain.
   As I continued to ascend the mountain, suddenly and unexpectedly a fog descended and I was quickly engulfed in a cloud of darkness as the fog reached all the way to the ground.  I slowed down to about 15 miles per hour, turned on the headlights, and turned on the emergency flashers.  Glancing at the fuel gauge, the needle was hugging the big "E"---I was running out of gas!
   And just as suddenly and unexpectedly---as in a flash of lightning---I became fearful!  What in the world was I going to do!  I was on a strange road, on a strange mountain, in a cloud of darkness, and running out of gas.  I could barely see the pavement in front of my eyes. 
   As I continued driving, my eyes kept darting at the fuel gauge while wondering what in the world I would do if I ran out of gas and stopped on road covered in a cloud of fog.  There were no other vehicles traveling to and fro.  How would I get help?  Have far would I have to walk to get a can of gas?
   Thus I did the only thing I knew to do at the time:  I prayed.  I said God please help me!  I can't see!  I don't know where this road is going!  I'm running out of gas!  If you don't help, Lord, there is no help!  As I continued to drive I continued to pray, saying those same words over and over.  I was fearful.  I was anxious.  For me, this was a like a tsunami that comes from out of nowhere.
   And just as suddenly and unexpectedly, my eyes caught the reflection of a dim light to my left and I was able to recognize the colors on a neon sign of a certain petroleum company!  I quickly eased on the brakes, turned left, and stopped my truck at a gasoline pump!
   I sighed and gave thanks to the Lord for delivering me in my time of trouble, for it is good that we give thanks unto the Lord.
   After refueling, I returned on the road in the direction from whence I came because I did not know where the road went in the other direction.  At least if I returned to where I had been, I could find my way home. 
   As I began my journey back down the mountain, I began to drive under the lifting fog, the sun was shining brightly, and in a few minutes there was nothing above me except blue skies and abundant sunshine!  I looked at my watch and the time of day was 3 p.m.  My whole experience was as if the day was at its darkest hour of midnight.
   Fear strikes fast and at the speed of lightning.  But even in times of fear, God is still available for help and strength in the darkest hours.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.