Thursday, September 7, 2017

MY NAME IS IRMA

   Ever since hurricane Harvey, news organizations and weather experts have been telling you about me and how I have been coming to America from across the Atlantic Ocean.
   They have been telling you that I am a monster, or even a beast from the sea.
   Some of you have believed these reports and have been making plans for my arrival because you fear me, and you are wise.
   But some of you, however, do not fear me.  You have continued to live your lives as if I am not a big deal.  Because of television, you see me as just another form of entertainment, or an event to come that will not be as bad as the experts predict; or, as just another TV show that you can watch from the comfort of your living rooms and not be bothered by my lashing winds, torrential rain, and a few tornados that will hit the ground.
   To you, I am just another talking point for the talking heads of talk television news, but also a talking point for the sports networks and the impact I will make on the games that will thrill you this weekend and next week, too.  As soon as I am gone and out of the way, your way of life can get back to normal with the games you cherish so dearly.
   Therefore, let me jog your memory with a thing or two.
   Back on August 21, God sent a sign from heaven to warn you of things to come on the earth with the solar eclipse.  The wise understood the sign, and they have been working to get the word out by telling people that this sign is from God and that other events will come thereafter.
   Others, however, have remained as fools by ignoring the words of the wise and by choosing instead to view the eclipse as just another solar event, or even a form of entertainment.  After all, the eclipse did thrill people, and they liked it with all of their oohs and ahs when the light went out.
   My name is Irma and I am real.
   In three days and three nights, the lights are going out in cities, communities, and neighborhoods in America.
   What will you say about me next Monday? 
   More importantly, what are you going to do about me today?
   Not that long ago in Jerusalem, the body of a certain man was in a tomb for three days and three nights, and there was darkness.  But on the third day, that man was resurrected from death as the Light came out of the grave.
   Jesus said,
      "I am the light of the world:  he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."  (John 8: 12)
   Hurricane Irma will produce darkness.  But in that darkness people can still have light if they turn their hearts to Christ---preferably today instead of next Monday.  For Monday will be too late if they should die before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.