Thursday, July 12, 2012

OF GOD AND GOLF

   Over the past three years, God has taught me more from the game of golf than I could learn from many churches across the United States of America.
   Without sounding anti-God, anti-church, or anti-anything, this is the truth:  I do believe in God, I do believe in the fundamental purpose of churches, and I do believe in my country.
   At many churches, however, we are met at the door with a program, written and printed, and ushered quietly to a seat, as we are also taught how to sit, when to stand, when to bow our heads and say "Amen".  We listen to mellow music by the Christianettes, followed by a sermonette by the preacherette, arise and leave the building, all neatly wrapped and tidy-like in about forty minutes or less. 
   From golf, I have learned about pain and suffering, patience and perservence, pride and humility, of trying to play golf my way, or submitting to play golf the golf way.  I have also learned self-control, self-discipline, and self-denial.  I have learned to play golf alone, but I have also learned how to play golf with a team, all working together for the good of the team.  From golf, too, I have learned how to pray in order to become a better golfer.  I have experienced the agony of losing, trials and tribulations, and then the joy of sweet victory.  I have had the thrill of the shot of a lifetime, followed the spill of a swing gone beserk.  I have learned as I am learning to overcome anger and frustration of missing good shots that I have made so many times before.
   Above all else, I do not get a program at the first tee.  My day on the golf course will not be written and printed in advance.  Whatever I did well yesterday or last week will not matter unless I can do it again today.  For in golf, we play the game by faith:   believing that we can make good shots and produce lower scores.  Sometimes we win; sometimes we lose.  But for us with desires to succeed, we keep coming back, not knowing what the day ahead will be.  And this is faith.
   Where is Christ in churches today?  Where is Christ when we leave the buildings?  Is there any difference in your church today than from forty years ago, twenty years ago, or even last week?   If there is no difference, why do you keep going back?  What has your church done that is new and exciting that would compel you to invite another person to experience?  Or is your church stuck in an order of worship that is etched in stone and will never change?
   Perhaps it is good for us to remember that when Jesus died on the cross, He was dead.  But Jesus did not stay dead!  When the Lord came out of the tomb, He was alive, walking and talking!  And He is alive, even now, seated at the right hand of God the Father.
   In golf, when I make a lousy swing, I get down and dejected.  But I get back up on my feet and swing again, for I will not let my golf die and stay dead.
   Therefore, is your church alive, or is it dead?  And if dead, do something about it!  For when my golf game is not doing well, I arise and do something about it.
   Perhaps it would be good if churches would get back to the playbook---the Holy Bible---and get rid of the program.  For after church, the paper program is shredded and re-cycled. 

      I am the LORD:  that is my name:  and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.  (Isaiah 42:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.