Sunday, February 18, 2018

A MIRACLE IN ME

   On the morning of February 15, 2018, my day began as most of my days have begun for at least forty years---with a cup of coffee.  This cup of coffee was different because I kept slurping coffee below my lower lip and drenching my chin.  As I continued to sip I continued to slurp, and my napkin was absorbing more coffee than my mouth.  
   When my wife awoke, she talked to me and I tried to talk to her; but my words felt like they were twisted on my tongue and came out slurred.  Again and again I tried to speak clearly, but I could not.
   Quickly recognizing the situation, Linda used the word "stroke" and I agreed.  Just as quickly we got in our car and she drove me to the hospital. 
   Along the way to the hospital, my slurred speech became clear again and I was able to tell the medical staff about my experience of slurping coffee and slurring words.  Following a CT scan of my brain, however, I returned to slurring my words.
   After that, I was air-lifted via helicopter to Missouri Baptist Medical Center in St. Louis, admitted to the intensive care unit, and, for 24 hours, I underwent examinations and observations by the stroke trauma staff, followed by an additional 24 hours in a semi-private room. 
   Just after noon on Saturday, I was released to go home, and it was as if I had never had a stroke at all!  My brain was free from any damage, my motor skills had no damage, and neither was there any change to my vision or hearing.
   Some people will say I was lucky, some will say this was all chance; but I say this is a miracle in my life because I believe that only God can perform miracles.
   What, then, shall I do with this miracle in my life?
   At this point in time, I do not know the answer to the question.  Suffice is to say for now is that I, at this time, am to make this miracle known:  with the belief that God will make more known later because I believe this miracle in me is not for me alone.

      "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: 
           be not dismayed; for I am thy God: 
        I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee;
          yea, I will uphold thee
        with the right hand of my righteousness." 
                   (Isaiah 41: 10)
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be published openly.